Instacart now offers 24/7 delivery in most major cities, making life way easier for busy people and midnight snackers
We’ve seen school day mishaps go viral before — like the mom who forgot it was picture day and sent her 3-year-old to school wearing a terribly unfortunate T-shirt — but this dad’s spicy mix-up is a cringe felt ’round the world.
“OMG Reddit, I’m such an idiot,” the dad’s post begins. “I’ll start off by saying that my wife has very weak taste buds. She can hardly taste anything unless they’re on extremes of their flavor. Stupid salty, stupid spicy, etc.
“Well, it’s my job to get the kids ready for school, make lunches, get them dressed and out to the bus, then I go off to work… This particular day, my wife was working an early shift, so I decided to make her a lunch as well.
“I made ham sandwiches for all three lunches: two normal sandwiches for my daughter’s, and one sandwich with ‘The Last Dab’ spread across thickly on both sides of the sandwich. I put them all into baggies and packed up.
“If you don’t know what ‘The Last Dab’ is, it’s a hot sauce made by a popular YouTube channel that sits at 3 million Scoville. It’s not for the weak. It’s powerful, it sets your whole body on fire and there isn’t much to do but try milk and wait for the spice to pass.
“Today around 11:30, I got a call from my oldest daughter’s teacher saying she was in agony, that she vomited all over the floor and is in the nurse’s office being assessed. I immediately knew what I did, left work and rushed to the school. I stopped at a gas station to get some whole milk and some thick milk chocolate to try and help her…
“When I got there, the nurse had figured out what had happened, and I got an earful from her about the dangers of spicy food for young kids and [that] I could have done some damage. I agreed, and I just let her go off on me while I was comforting my daughter because frankly… I deserved it.
“I explained what happened to the principal, who wanted to fill out an incident report. He was understanding that mistakes happen but also said this mistake could have been worse. Again, I agreed. I’m so embarrassed.
“When I told my wife what had happened when she got home, she went to comfort our daughter, jokingly called me a huge moron (I agreed), and we had a bit of a laugh with my two daughters over it.
“My daughter has since recovered, and I’ve learned a valuable lesson: Don’t make radioactive sandwiches around food for your kids!”
See this bedroom turn into a vibrant oasis after an incredible one-day renovation:
“This is her ‘get out of jail free’ card for the rest of her life…”
Thousands of Redditors weighed in on the dad’s unfortunate mistake in the comments.
“Man, I don’t know if I should feel bad or laugh my a** off,” one user wrote.
“I’m not judging someone with two small kids, a job and a partner who works shift. Accidents happen,” another user replied.
“Maybe in the future, just put the bottle of hot sauce in the bag with your wife’s lunch? That way there’s no danger if the wrong person takes it; your kids should know not to use it. LOL,” suggested one user.
“This is her ‘get out of jail free’ card for the rest of her life. ‘Oh Dad, you’re angry I came home after curfew? Well, do you remember the time you fed me the spiciest sandwich known to man and I could have DIED!??! Oh, you’re not upset anymore? K, see you tomorrow then,'” another user joked.
Thankfully, this dad’s tale ends happily — but in the future, he’ll no doubt be double- or triple-checking his kids’ lunchboxes to avoid ever making that spicy mistake again!
Watch this tiny NYC apartment living room get a gorgeous makeover in just one day:
In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
If you enjoyed this story, check out the mom who was accused of “child abuse” for the lunches she packs her 5-year-old.
More from In The Know: