Crystal Rogers Went Missing 8 Years Ago — and Boyfriend Was Just Charged with Murder

Brooks Houck was the last person to see Crystal Rogers alive on July 3, 2015, authorities say

Federal Bureau of Investigation Crystal Rogers
Federal Bureau of Investigation Crystal Rogers

The boyfriend of a Kentucky mother of five who went missing eight years ago and is presumed dead has been arrested in connection with the case, authorities said.

On Wednesday, the FBI Louisville office announced in a post on X (formerly known as Twitter) that Brooks Houck was taken into custody on “charges stemming from the Crystal Rogers investigation.”

According to court documents obtained by local stations WHAS-TV, WLKY, and WKYT, Houck, 41, faces charges of murder and tampering with physical evidence. He is reportedly being held in the Nelson County Jail on $10 million cash bond.

The FBI said the indictment is sealed and more information will be revealed during Houck’s arraignment in October in Nelson County Circuit Court. It’s unclear if he has retained an attorney to speak on his behalf.

Rogers, who vanished overnight from Houk's family farm, was last seen alive on July 3, 2015, PEOPLE previously reported. Her remains have yet to be found.

At the time of Rogers’ disappearance, Houck told police the couple had gone to bed together, but when he awoke, she was gone. The couple had one son together.

Nelson County Jail Brooks Houck
Nelson County Jail Brooks Houck

Months later, Houck was identified as a main suspect in Rogers' case, although no charges were filed against him — until now. His brother, Nick, was fired from the local police department after being accused of interfering with the investigation, according to the Kentucky Standard.

Houck is the second person to be charged in connection with Rogers’ disappearance this month.

Related: Crystal Rogers Case: Man Reportedly Charged with Conspiracy to Commit Murder

On Sept. 7, Joseph Lawson, 32, was charged with conspiracy to commit murder and tampering with physical evidence, according to court records cited by WDRB, WLKY and WYKT. Lawson’s attorney, Kevin Coleman also confirmed that his client was indicted in the case, per WHAS-TV.

Lawson entered a not guilty plea to the charges and received a bond set at $500,000, the outlets reported.

One year after Rogers' disappearance, her father, Tommy Ballard, was shot and killed while hunting with his son and 12-year-old grandson. Tommy Ballard had never stopped looking for his daughter, his wife previously told PEOPLE. No arrests have been made in connection with his death.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

"It’s just, it's always a hard time of year for us. I know people say it gets easier, [but] it doesn't get easier," Rogers' mother, Sherry Ballard, told PEOPLE through tears in 2020. "I don't know where people get that’s still very hard."

Related: Ky. Mom Crystal Rogers Vanished in 2015, and Her Mother Plans to Honor Her on Christmas

In July 2020, human remains were found near the site where Rogers was last seen alive, PEOPLE previously reported. However, in November of that year, federal authorities announced that the remains did not belong to Rogers.

Following the announcement of Houck’s arrest, Rogers’ family released a statement thanking local and federal authorities for their efforts in the investigation.

"At this time we ask for privacy as this is another step forward for justice for Crystal,” the statement reads, in part, per WLKY. “Continue to pray that justice is served and we bring Crystal home."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.