Coronavirus 'super-spreader' speaks out from hospital quarantine

Will Taylor
News Reporter

A so-called coronavirus “super-spreader” has fully recovered from the disease and thanked the NHS for his treatment.

Steve Walsh, from Hove in East Sussex, is still in quarantine at Guy’s Hospital in London, having contracted the disease at a conference in Singapore.

He earned his "super-spreader" moniker in reports because he stopped off for several days at a French ski chalet where five Britons were later infected with the virus.

Mr Walsh has also been linked with five more cases of coronavirus in the UK, including two doctors – one of whom worked at a Brighton surgery that has temporarily shut.

Steve Walsh, who has been linked to cases of coronavirus (Sky News)

Speaking from hospital, Mr Walsh said in a statement: “I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus.

“As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus, I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England.

The County Oak Medical Centre GP practice in Brighton is cleaned after being temporarily closed following reports of a member of staff contracting the coronavirus (PA)

“I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed.

“When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.

“I also thank friends, family and colleagues for their support during recent weeks and I ask the media to respect our privacy.”

Mr Walsh reportedly volunteers as a scout leader and works for gas analysis company Servomex.

A spokesman from the Scouting Association told Yahoo News UK: “We are aware that an individual from the Brighton area who volunteers with the Scout Movement is suffering from coronavirus. He contracted the virus while out of the UK.

“This volunteer has not been to any Scout meetings since his return to the UK.

 “We wish him well and hope he recovers soon.”

A spokesman for the company, which appears to be based in Crowborough, East Sussex, told the Daily Telegraph: “We are very pleased that Steve Walsh has made a full recovery.

“We continue to provide support to him and his family. We are working with public health authorities to ensure the welfare of our staff and communities and wish anyone with the virus a quick and full recovery".