Chimezie Metu (Sacramento Kings) with a dunk vs the New York Knicks, 01/22/2021
Chimezie Metu (Sacramento Kings) with a dunk vs the New York Knicks, 01/22/2021
OTTAWA — Former military ombudsman Gary Walbourne told a parliamentary committee Wednesday that he informed Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan of allegations of misconduct against Gen. Jonathan Vance during a “hostile” closed-door meeting three years ago. Walbourne’s remarks appear to contradict Sajjan’s own testimony to the same committee Feb. 19, when he said he was as surprised as anyone when Global News first reported Vance’s alleged misconduct in early February. At that time, Sajjan repeatedly refused to confirm media reports that Walbourne raised allegations against Vance when the minister and ombudsman met in March 2018. Sajjan cited confidentiality and also said any allegations brought to him were taken seriously and referred to the appropriate authorities. Walbourne, whose testimony is protected by parliamentary privilege, used his opening statement to the House of Commons' defence committee to publicly confirm the conversation for the first time. “Yes, I did meet with Minister Sajjan on March 1, 2018,” he said. “Yes, I did directly tell him about an allegation of inappropriate sexual behaviour made against the chief of defence.” Global News has reported that Vance allegedly had an ongoing relationship with a woman he significantly outranked. He is also accused of having made a sexual comment to a second, much younger, soldier in 2012, before he became commander of the Armed Forces. Vance, who turned over command of the military in January after more than five years in the job, has not responded to requests for comment by The Canadian Press and the allegations against him have not been independently verified. Global says Vance, who as defence chief oversaw the military’s efforts to root sexual misconduct from the ranks, has denied any wrongdoing. Military police are now investigating the allegations against Vance. They have also launched an investigation of Vance’s successor as defence chief, Admiral Art McDonald, who temporarily stepped aside last week in response to unspecified allegations of misconduct. Walbourne did not spell out the specifics of the allegation that he presented to Sajjan, and confirmed earlier reports that no formal complaint was filed. However, he said he came to possess “irrefutable, concrete evidence” about Vance, which is what led him to raise the matter with the minister. Walbourne told the committee Sajjan refused to look at the evidence and later cut off all contact until the former ombudsman’s resignation on Oct. 31, 2018. Walbourne also said he asked Sajjan to keep the matter in confidence until they could figure out how to handle the allegation, but that the minister instead told the Privy Council Office, which asked the ombudsman for information about the complainant. Walbourne, who initially declined an invitation to appear before the committee before being formally summoned to testify, said he refused to provide that information because the complainant had not given permission to do so. The former ombudsman, who has repeatedly decried a lack of independence for the office, went on to draw a link between his meeting with Sajjan three years ago and the Department of National Defence cutting off his financial and staffing authorities. The ombudsman’s office was being investigated at that time following a whistleblower’s complaint. Walbourne was adamant the complaint had no merit, and instead alleged that it was used as an excuse to put pressure on him and his team. Asked if there was any attempt by the government to cover up for Vance, Walbourne said: “I don’t know if it was an attempt at a coverup, but I know it was a full-court press to get rid of me.” This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 3, 2021. Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press
Next Step explains how its fintech consulting model is delivering optimal client collaboration and efficiency
Phoenix has been a gem for bettors this season.
WASHINGTON — Capitol Police say they have uncovered intelligence of a “possible plot” by a militia group to breach the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, nearly two months after a mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the iconic building to try to stop Congress from certifying now-President Joe Biden's victory. The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that Trump will rise again to power on March 4. That was the original presidential inauguration day until 1933, when it was moved to Jan. 20. The announcement comes as the Capitol police and other law enforcement agencies are taking heat from Congress in contentious hearings this week on their handling of the Jan. 6 riot. Police were ill-prepared for the mass of Trump supporters in tactical gear, some armed, and it took hours for National Guard reinforcements to come. By then, rioters had broken and smashed their way into the building and roamed the halls for hours, stalling Congress' certification effort temporarily and sending lawmakers into hiding. “The United States Capitol Police Department is aware of and prepared for any potential threats towards members of Congress or towards the Capitol complex,” the agency said in a statement. “We have obtained intelligence that shows a possible plot to breach the Capitol by an identified militia group on Thursday, March 4.” Police did not identify the militia group in the statement. An advisory sent earlier this week to members of Congress by Timothy Blodgett, the acting House sergeant-at-arms, said that the Capitol Police had “no indication that groups will travel to Washington D.C. to protest or commit acts of violence.” But that advisory was updated in a note to lawmakers Wednesday morning. Blodgett wrote that the Capitol Police had received “new and concerning information and intelligence indicating additional interest in the Capitol for the dates of March 4th – 6th by a militia group.” In her testimony to the House panel, acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman said her investigators had collected “some concerning intelligence,” but declined to provide any details publicly, saying that it was “law enforcement sensitive” and that she would provide a private briefing for the subcommittee members. Lawmakers, congressional staffers and law enforcement officials are still on edge after the attack last month, even as the security posture around the Capitol remains at an unprecedented level. On Wednesday, federal agents were seeking to determine whether there was an increase in the number of hotel rooms being rented in Washington, as well as monitoring flights to the area, car rental reservations and any buses being chartered to bring groups into the capital, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. The person could not publicly discuss details of the security planning and spoke on condition of anonymity. The FBI and Department of Homeland Security also sent a joint intelligence bulletin to local law enforcement officials Tuesday warning that a group of militia extremists had discussed trying to take control of the Capitol on March 4 and encouraging thousands of people to come to D.C. to try to remove Democrats from power. There has been a noticeable decline in online activity on some social media platforms surrounding efforts on March 4, and there was already considerably less online chatter than during the lead-up to Jan. 6, a day that Trump repeatedly had promoted for a his rally and encouraged thousands to come to the nation's capital. Several QAnon groups still operating on the social media messaging platform Telegram warned followers to stay away from any events on March 4, claiming it was a setup for Trump supporters. “If there are groups out there planning and advertising events on or around March 4 anywhere in the country (DC included) we strongly urge everyone to avoid them entirely,” one Telegram user wrote late last month in a QAnon group that has more than 65,000 followers. There's also a very large fence in place around the U.S. Capitol that blocks off all avenues of entry including on the streets around the building, which was put in place after Jan. 6. Also, thousands of accounts that promoted the Jan. 6 event that led to a violent storming of the U.S. Capitol have since been suspended by major tech companies like Facebook and Twitter, making it far more difficult for QAnon and far-right groups to organize a repeat of the mass gathering on Thursday. Twitter banned more than 70,000 accounts after the riots, while Facebook and Instagram removed posts mentioning “stop the steal,” a pro-Trump rallying cry used to mobilize his supporters in January. And the conservative social media platform Parler, which many of Trump’s supporters joined to promote false election fraud conspiracy theories and encourage friends to “storm” the Capitol on Jan. 6, was booted off the internet following the siege. Capitol Police say that they have stepped up security around the Capitol complex since January's insurrection, adding physical security measures such as the fencing topped with razor wire around the Capitol and members of the National Guard who remain at the complex. The statement said the agency was “taking the intelligence seriously” but provided no other specific details on the threat. Rep. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., said he was “very concerned” about potential threats Thursday and wasn’t sure whether the Capitol Police were adequately prepared to respond. “I believe that there should be additional resources assigned to their efforts to sweep for explosives, for example,” he said. “And I don’t know to what degree that’s being done right now.” Lawmakers were expected to be briefed later Wednesday by Capitol Police leadership in a closed session So far, about 300 people have been charged with federal crimes for their roles in the riot. Five people, including a Capitol Police officer, died. Since his defeat, Trump has been promoting lies that the election was stolen from him through mass voter fraud, even though such claims have been rejected by judges, Republican state officials and Trump’s own administration. He was impeached by the House after the Jan. 6 riot on a c harge of incitement of insurrection but was acquitted by the Senate. ___ Associated Press writers Nomaan Merchant in Houston, Colleen Long and Alan Fram in Washington and Amanda Seitz in Chicago contributed to this report. Michael Balsamo, The Associated Press
New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 3, 2021) - WHY: Rosen Law Firm, a global investor rights law firm, reminds purchasers of the securities of Voyager Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: VYGR) between June 1, 2017 and November 9, 2020, inclusive (the "Class Period"), of the important March 24, 2021 lead plaintiff deadline.SO WHAT: If you purchased Voyager securities during the Class Period you may be entitled to compensation without payment of any out ...
The SAG Awards are pivoting to a new format after the Golden Globes tanked in the ratings over the weekend.
The actress said her agents have warned her she is missing out on commercial opportunities.
SAN DIEGO — Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II was sentenced Wednesday to 14 years in prison for multiple rapes and other sexual offences against five women in Southern California, including one who was homeless when he attacked her in 2018. The 37-year-old son of San Diego Chargers Hall of Fame receiver Kellen Winslow appeared via videoconference at the hearing in San Diego Superior Court in Vista, a city north of San Diego. He declined to comment before his sentence, saying his lawyers had advised him not to speak. “In the future, I do plan to tell my story," said the former Cleveland Browns star, once the highest-paid tight end in the NFL. San Diego County Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman said Winslow can only be described in “two words and that is a sexual predator." The judge said he preyed on women who were especially vulnerable, befriending a homeless woman, picking up a 54-year-old hitchhiker, and attacking a teen after she had passed out at a party. Bowman called them “brazen" crimes. He noted that Winslow continued to prey on women even after his first arrest. He performed a lewd act in front of a 77-year-old woman at a gym while hiding his GPS monitoring ankle bracelet with a towel. He also exposed himself during that time to a 57-year-old neighbour who was gardening. “The vulnerability of the victims was no accident," Bowman said. “It was the type of victim that you sought out yourself because you felt that perhaps they wouldn’t report the crime" or “wouldn't be deemed credible by the jurors." The 14-year-sentence was the maximum allowed under a plea deal. He was convicted of forcible rape, rape of an unconscious person, assault with intent to commit rape, indecent exposure, and lewd conduct in public. Four of the women who gave statements Wednesday, including one victim who had the prosecutor read hers. All described suffering for years after their attacks from fear and emotional trauma. The woman who was homeless and raped in Winslow's home town of Encinitas, a beach community north of San Diego, called into the hearing via video conference from the San Diego County District Attorney's office, where she was watching the proceedings with another victim. She said since she was raped she has had trouble raising her head and walking, and she feels afraid constantly, checking under beds and in closets, and cannot be alone. “It's affecting my life every day and every night," she said. “I don’t ever feel safe inside or outside. You brought so much damage to my life." Once a first-round NFL draft pick, Winslow played for the Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots and the New York Jets. He earned more than $40 million over his 10 seasons before he left in 2013. Winslow's attorney Marc Carlos said he suffered from head trauma from the many blows to his head playing football, which can only explain why he “went off the rails," going from a star athlete to a convicted sexual predator. He said his client has accepted responsibility and intends to get help. Winslow was first convicted after a trial in June 2019 when jurors found him guilty of forcible rape and two misdemeanours — indecent exposure and a lewd act in public. The same jurors failed to agree on other charges, including the alleged 2018 rape of the 54-year-old hitchhiker, and the 2003 rape of the unconscious 17-year-old high school senior who went to a party with him when he was 19. Before he was retried on those charges, he pleaded guilty to raping the teen and sexual battery of the hitchhiker. Those pleas spared him the possibility of life in prison. The father of two, whose wife filed for divorce after he was convicted, had faced up to 18 years in prison for all the charges. But both sides agreed to reduce the sexual battery charge to assault with intent to commit rape last month. That reduced the maximum sentence to 14 years. Winslow must also register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Julie Watson, The Associated Press
President Joe Biden on Wednesday said it's a “big mistake” for states to lift pandemic restrictions, calling it a result of "Neanderthal thinking."
IQALUIT, Nunavut — A Nunavut judge has granted a mining company an injunction against hunters who stopped the mine's operations when they protested at its site last month. About a dozen Inuit hunters blocked the road and airstrip at the Mary River iron ore mine on northern Baffin Island for a week before leaving on Feb. 10. Although the hunters ended their protest, mine owner Baffinland Iron Mines Corp. applied for an injunction to prevent them from returning. The hunters were protesting Baffinland's proposal to double its output of iron ore and build a 110-kilometre railway from the mine to the ocean. In her decision, Justice Susan Cooper notes Baffinland's financial losses from the protest and says there wasn't evidence to show the hunters wouldn't return to the mine site. Cooper says lawyers for the hunters have two days to apply to vary or set aside the injunction. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 3, 2021. The Canadian Press
Shares of lithium mining company Lithium Americas (NYSE: LAC) dropped double-digits Wednesday, after the company reported fourth-quarter and full-year 2020 results yesterday. The mining company remains pre-revenue as it works on developing its two lithium mining project sites. Today, Canaccord Genuity analyst Katie Lachapelle maintained a buy rating on the stock, but lowered the Canadian firm's price target to about US$24 per share.
Aston Martin left after failing to score any points that year and returns to the grid with high hopes after signing four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel. Vettel has won 53 F1 races but endured a dismal final year with Ferrari in 2020 during which he secured just one podium finish. "I love the history of motor racing and Aston Martin is one of the great names of the past, so it is fun to be part of their return," Vettel said at the team's online launch on Wednesday.
Klara is an Artificial Friend who observes humanity in Kazuo Ishiguro's "Klara and the Sun," his first novel since winning the Nobel Prize in 2017.
High school seniors ready to celebrate with a trip learned they were part of a travel agent’s scheme, authorities say.
Today, Luvera Law Firm announced an $18 million settlement with Swedish Health Services and others in a medical negligence case involving a radiologist who failed to identify evidence of a brain hemorrhage in an MRI for Isabel De Jesus-Congdon, a former Swedish Health lactation nurse. Several other Swedish physicians relied on the radiologist’s faulty conclusions, as De Jesus-Congdon continued to seek care until she ultimately suffered a catastrophic stroke, leaving the 61-year-old mother of two with irreparable cognitive and physical injuries.
New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 3, 2021) - The Klein Law Firm announces that a class action complaint has been filed on behalf of shareholders of Penumbra, Inc. (NYSE: PEN) alleging that the Company violated federal securities laws.Class Period: August 3, 2020 and December 15, 2020Lead Plaintiff Deadline: March 16, 2021Learn more about your recoverable losses in PEN:http://www.kleinstocklaw.com/pslra-1/penumbra-inc-loss-submission-form?id=13283&from=5The filed complaint alleges that Penumbra, Inc. made materially false and/or misleading statements and/or failed ...
Health experts are seeing red flags in coronavirus variants that were first discovered in Brazil, New York and California. Here's what they say.
The United Nations official who investigated the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi sharply criticized President Biden’s response to the killing, saying his administration’s failure to sanction Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman sent a “dangerous” message to world leaders that they could kill dissidents and journalists with impunity and suffer no consequences.
Mexico's central bank on Wednesday gave a more optimistic view of economic growth and job creation for this year and next than previously forecast, but said the coronavirus pandemic still posed serious risks to the outlook. In a quarterly report, the bank said its central scenario was that gross domestic product would expand by 4.8% in 2021 and by 3.3% in 2022, up from prior forecasts of 3.3% for 2021 and 2.6% growth for 2022 for Latin America's No. 2 economy. Mexico's economy suffered its steepest recession in almost 90 years in 2020 as the coronavirus pandemic battered activity.
The Camera della Moda estimated that 3 billion euros is needed to restart the country's fashion industry, impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.