Casemiro to finally get first Premier League start in Manchester United's match with Everton

Casemiro - Casemiro to start against Everton after he was ‘disrespected’ with derby omission - REUTERS
Casemiro - Casemiro to start against Everton after he was ‘disrespected’ with derby omission - REUTERS

Casemiro is in line for his first Premier League start for Manchester United when they travel to Goodison Park to face Everton on Sunday.

Erik ten Hag is hoping for an immediate reaction to United’s 6-3 derby capitulation to Manchester City and Casemiro is likely to be drafted into a midfield that was overwhelmed at the Etihad Stadium.

The Brazil midfielder, 30, has played just 82 minutes of Premier League football since his projected £70 million move to Old Trafford from Real Madrid in August.

Rio Ferdinand, the former United defender, has suggested Casemiro may feel “disrespected” for not having played more so far given his reputation, experience and standing as a five-time Champions League winner.

Ten Hag’s decision not to start Casemiro against City caused surprise in some quarters given that he was brought in as a quick fix for the club’s problematic holding midfield position after the club’s leading target Frenkie de Jong refused to leave Barcelona.

But the United manager insisted Casemiro’s omission at the Etihad was down to Scott McTominay’s form in a team that had won four successive league games prior to their derby collapse.

“On the day we signed him [Casemiro], we started to win and it’s about the team,” Ten Hag said. “The team is doing really well, it’s not against Casemiro, it’s for, in this case, Scott McTominay. He performed great in the team and then we get into a run, but I’m sure it will be important for us in the long and short-term. He [Casemiro] will find himself in the team but it has to come in a natural way.”

Casemiro and Cristiano Ronaldo - Casemiro to start against Everton he was ‘disrespected’ in derby omission
Casemiro and Cristiano Ronaldo - Casemiro to start against Everton he was ‘disrespected’ in derby omission

After Sunday’s debacle Casemiro is now likely to be given his chance. Contrary to suggestions, the Brazil international was wanted by Ten Hag once he was made aware he was willing to leave Real Madrid and the United manager pushed for a deal after attempts to sign Adrien Rabiot from Juventus collapsed.

United travel to Cyprus on Wednesday ahead of their Europa League tie against Omonia Nicosia on Thursday when Casemiro could also start. Ten Hag held an inquest into the derby debacle at United’s Carrington training base and is expecting a swift response from his side.

Casemiro’s only start to date for United was in the 1-0 Europa League defeat at home to Real Sociedad last month and Ferdinand believes the Brazilian should have played more. “He hasn’t been given a fair crack of the whip. He’s come in and played in a Europa League game against some dead team,” Ferdinand told his Vibe with Five show.

“He ain’t been given a start in the team when he’s fit and ready, he’s regressed in terms of fitness, so he’s now worse off than when he came. He still had to get up to speed when he came from that league to this league.

“I wonder the impact it’s having on someone like him. Yes he’s experienced but he must be sitting there thinking, ‘Wow, I’m happy to be here at Man United but I’m feeling a little bit disrespected here, given what I’ve done’. I’d be surprised if he’s not feeling like that.”