The Group Chat dishes on which teams are going to stumble in the playoffs and of course, the Milwaukee Bucks came up.
The Group Chat dishes on which teams are going to stumble in the playoffs and of course, the Milwaukee Bucks came up.
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times Eastern): 3 p.m. Saskatchewan is reporting 141 new COVID-19 cases today, but no new deaths linked to the virus. The province says its seven-day average of new cases is 146, which it says works out to 11.9 new cases per 100,000 people. There were 1,662 COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the province on Saturday, raising the total number to 78,226 delivered so far. --- 2:05 p.m. Manitoba is reporting two new deaths in people with COVID-19. One was in his 80s, the other was in her 90s, and both were from the Winnipeg health region. The province says there were 50 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed as of 9:30 a.m. this morning. Most of Manitoba's new cases are in the Winnipeg and Northern health regions, with each recording 21 new infections. So far, the province says it has recorded five cases of the virus variant first identified in the United Kingdom. --- 1:50 p.m. Nova Scotia is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 in the province today. Health officials say the cases are spread out across the province, with the central, eastern and northern regions each recording one new infection. Officials say one of the cases is a close contact of a previous case, while two are related to travel outside Atlantic Canada. Nova Scotia has 38 active cases of COVID-19, with two people currently in hospital. --- 1 p.m. Health authorities in Newfoundland and Labrador have diagnosed seven new cases of COVID-19 today, bringing the total number of active infections to 262. The province says all seven cases are in the Eastern Health region, which includes St. John’s. Officials say four of the infections were identified in individuals aged 20 to 39, while one patient was under 20 years old, one was aged 40 to 49 and one was aged 50 to 59. The new cases identified include three females and four males. Officials say there are currently 10 people in hospital with COVID-19, with six of those patients in intensive care. --- 11:30 a.m. Quebec is reporting 737 new cases of COVID-19 and nine additional deaths due to the virus. Four of the deaths occurred in the last 24 hours, while the rest took place earlier. Hospitalizations rose by two to 601. Of those, 117 patients are in intensive care, which is five more than a day earlier. The province gave 12,469 doses of vaccine on Saturday for a total of more than 432,000 since the pandemic began. --- 11 a.m. Health officials in New Brunswick say a 90-year-old resident of an adult residential facility in Edmundston has died as a result of underlying complications including COVID-19. The case brings the total number of deaths in the province related to the novel coronavirus disease to 27. Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell says the loss of another New Brunswicker is a sad moment for the province and is something that never gets easier. The number of active cases in New Brunswick stands at 38, with one patient currently hospitalized in intensive care. --- 10:45 a.m. Ontario is expanding its list of vaccine recipients to include those experiencing homelessness even as it passes a bleak new milestone in the fight against COVID-19. The province has officially logged more than 300,000 COVID-19 infections since the start of the pandemic and is just shy of 7,000 total deaths. Ontario added 1,062 new infections to its count today for a total of 300,816, while 20 new deaths bring the overall toll to 6,980. Meanwhile Toronto says it willbegin vaccinating residents of its shelter system this week after getting the green light from the province over the weekend. --- This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 28, 2021. The Canadian Press
It won't happen overnight, but these three are almost certain to build wealth over the long run.
State officials confirmed an agreement exists between the state and Publix but have not produced documentation outlining the terms of the partnership.
Chelsea missed the chance to climb back into the Premier League’s top four after grinding out a goalless draw with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge. The Blues threw in all their attacking personnel and every novel idea from new boss Thomas Tuchel but could not force a breakthrough against Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s resolute Red Devils.
A science professor at a university in central Michigan who claimed sinister forces were targeting him and breaking into his home has been fired months after using racist, anti-Semitic and homophobic slurs on Twitter. Thomas Brennan announced in a Twitter posting Saturday he’d been fired, and Ferris State University later confirmed he was dismissed last week, The Detroit News reported. The Big Rapids-based university, which put Brennan on administrative leave in November as it investigated, declined further comment.
Morning mail: rape claim fallout, sex crimes squad briefs schools, myth-busting unit Monday: Rape allegations against a cabinet minister should be investigated by an independent body, say legal experts. Plus: who is Kate Kelly? Legal experts have called a historical rape allegation against a cabinet minister a ‘very serious’ integrity issue for the government and have called for an independent investigation into the claims. Photograph: Sam Mooy/Getty Images
(Doug Kerr/CBC - image credit) A group of climate change activists known around the world for their dramatic protests and willingness to be arrested blocked traffic in downtown Vancouver on Saturday. Around 50 people with Extinction Rebellion marched from the Vancouver Art Gallery to the law courts Saturday afternoon, then occupied the intersection at Hornby and Smithe streets. Three people were arrested. Maayan Kreitzman, a volunteer with the group, said she was protesting what she calls a lack of action by the Canadian government to address climate change and its ecological impact. "And that means that normal people need to stand up and resist," she said. Protesters with Extinction Rebellion lay on a road in downtown Vancouver on Feb. 27, 2021. Extinction Rebellion has three key objectives: to see governments communicate and act with urgency around climate change; engage citizens through an assembly that will determine policies to stop climate change; and ensure carbon emissions are reduced to net zero by 2025 — a deadline 25 years shorter than that proposed by the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The group on Saturday spilled buckets of fake blood in the street, then collapsed to the ground as part of what it called a die-in. The display was part of a series of monthly peaceful protests, leading up to the group's so-called spring rebellion, planned for May 1 in Victoria, where protesters hope to provoke hundreds of arrests to gain more attention and support for their movement. "I always thought that climate change is an issue that is going to be happening in the future, and we'll worry about it in 10 years, 20 years. No. We have to make the changes now," said Nam Topp-Nguyen a volunteer with Extinction Rebellion. Vancouver police said officers arrested three protesters for mischief and intimidation after an intersection was blocked for several hours and the group refused to leave after multiple requests. "The protest was peaceful," said Const. Steve Addison in a release. He said the three people arrested were taken to jail and then released under a promise to appear at court at a later date. In 2019, 10 people with Extinction Rebellion were arrested after 100 activists took over the Burrard Street Bridge in Vancouver for more than 12 hours. Extinction Rebellion was founded in the U.K. in October 2018 and rose to prominence when the group disrupted traffic in central London for 11 days. More than 1,000 activists were arrested, of whom 850 were prosecuted for various public disorder offences. At least 250 have been convicted.
Ahead of the second episode of “Allen v. Farrow” airing tonight on HBO, Dylan Farrow posted a lengthy statement asking viewers to watch with “empathy, compassion and an open mind.” The episode will feature a home video in which a 7-year-old Farrow — who is the adopted child of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen — […]
The Minnesota Wild are one of the surprise teams this season in the NHL, and head coach Dean Evason deserves credit for their rise.
Was Jordan Binnington's weak attempt to start a riot in San Jose a matter of misunderstanding?
New York Attorney General Letitia James has rejected a proposal from Gov. Andrew Cuomo to select an independent investigator to conduct a review of the allegations of sexual harassment against the governor, James said on Sunday afternoon. After two former aides came forward this week with accusations against Cuomo, the governor's special counsel and senior adviser, Beth Garvey, at first announced that an independent review would be launched, led by former federal Judge Barbara Jones.
Police bodycam footage shows carer Barry Riley, 62, casually listening to classical music as he is arrested hours after trying to kill an elderly disabled woman by smothering her with a pillow.
Iran said Sunday it does not consider the time to be "suitable" for an informal meeting - proposed by Europe and involving the US - on the embattled 2015 nuclear deal. The European Union's political director earlier this month proposed the informal meeting involving Iran and the United States. US President Joe Biden's administration has accepted in principle. Following Biden's election, Washington, the European parties to the deal - France, Germany and Britain - and Tehran have been trying to salvage the 2015 nuclear accord, which granted Iran international sanctions relief in return for restrictions on its nuclear programme. The accord has been nearing collapse since former president Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew in 2018 and reimposed crippling sanctions as part of a "maximum pressure" campaign against Tehran. "Considering the recent positions and actions of the United States and the three European countries, (Iran) does not consider the time suitable to hold the informal meeting proposed by the European coordinator", foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said in a statement. "There has still been no change in the US positions and behaviour yet," he added, saying the Biden administration has continued "Trump's failed policy of maximum pressure". Biden has signalled readiness to revive the deal, but insists Iran first return to all its nuclear commitments, most of which it suspended in response to the sanctions, while Tehran demands Washington take the first step by scrapping the sanctions. The US "has not even announced its commitment to fulfilling its responsibilities" under the deal and the United Nations Security Council resolution that enshrined it, Khatibzadeh said. He added: "America must end its illegal and unilateral sanctions and return to its (deal) commitments. This needs neither negotiations nor resolutions." Iran "will answer action with action, and just as it will return to (deal) commitments in accordance with the lifting of sanctions, it will respond to hostile actions and behaviours in the same way". Iran last Tuesday started to restrict some site inspections by the UN nuclear watchdog, in continuation of suspended nuclear commitments in response to the US failure to lift its sanctions. Khatibzadeh said Tehran would continue to consult with other parties to the nuclear agreement, and European Union Foreign Minister Josep Borrell "in his capacity as the (deal) coordinator, both bilaterally and multilaterally".
Scientists have sequenced 64 full human genomes to better understand genetic diversity in the species.
Trey Mancini took his first at-bat since last March.
The event's organizer spoke after Gosar and told attendees that if the U.S. "loses its white demographic core, then this is not America anymore."
NEW YORK — Charlie McAvoy had a goal and an assist, leading the Boston Bruins to a 4-1 win against the New York Rangers on Sunday. Tuukka Rask made 20 saves and earned his 299th NHL victory. Charlie Coyle scored twice and David Pastrnak added two assists as the Bruins snapped a two-game skid. Trent Frederic also scored for Boston. Alexandar Georgiev made 31 saves, but the Rangers fell for the second time in games. Colin Blackwell scored for New York. McAvoy hammered a one-timer to push the Bruins’ lead to 3-0 at 10:20 of the second period. Pastrnak and Brad Marchand assisted on the play. The Bruins and Rangers have met four times in the month of February this season, all at MSG. The teams are scheduled to play four more times at TD Garden in Boston during this abbreviated 56-game season with revamped divisions because of COVID-19. Coyle opened the scoring at 6:41 of the first period with a deft wrist shot from inside the left faceoff circle. Pastrnak’s leading pass allowed Coyle to enter the offensive zone with speed and get by Rangers rookie defenceman K’Andre Miller. McAvoy earned the secondary assist on the play. Before Coyle’s goal, Georgiev sustained a cut above his left eye following a collision with Bruins forward Nick Ritchie. Igor Shesterkin replaced Georgiev after the goal for the remainder of the first period. Georgiev returned for the second period and finished the game. Frederic extended the Bruins’ lead to 2-0 late in the first period when he redirected a puck past Shesterkin. Connor Clifton and Jack Studnicka assisted on the goal at 18:14 of the opening period. Blackwell spoiled Rask’s shutout bid at 10:47 of the third period. Alexis Lafreniere, the first overall selection of the 2020 draft, picked up his second career assist in as many games on the play. Coyle added a short-handed empty-net goal at 18:05 to seal the victory for the Bruins. POWER PLAY STRUGGLES The Bruins are 3 for 22 on the man advantage over their past nine games after going 12 for 34 over the first 10. LEARNING CURVE The Bruins dressed four rookies on Sunday, including Frederic, Studnicka, Jakub Zboril and Urho Vaakanainen. UP NEXT Bruins: Host Washington Capitals on Wednesday. Rangers: Host Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday. ___ More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Associated Press
Un homme a été brûlé au visage et aux mains en fin de matinée, suite à un violent incendie de garage résidentiel, au 960 rue Bellevue Sud à Saint-Félicien. L'incident s'est produit vers 11h30. À l'arrivée des pompiers, les flammes avaient gagné la totalité du bâtiment. Il aura fallu 45 minutes pour éteindre le brasier. L'homme a subi des blessures mineures. Il a été transporté vers le centre hospitalier. On ne craint toutefois pas pour sa vie. Quant à la résidence, celle-ci n'a subi aucun dommage, car le garage se situait à une bonne distance. Fuite d'essence Selon le service de sécurité incendie de Saint-Félicien, l'homme effectuait des travaux sur une motoneige à l'intérieur du garage. Une fuite d'essence écoulée vers un poêle à bois pourrait être en cause. Cette hypothèse reste toutefois à confirmer par l'enquête. Le garage étant une perte totale, les dommages sont évalués à 50 000 $. Une vingtaine de pompiers ont été nécessaires pour assurer le déroulement de l'opération, qui a duré 2h30. Aucun d'entre eux n'a été blessé. De son côté, le chef aux opérations du Service de sécurité incendie de Saint-Félicien, Viateur Aubé appelle à la vigilance. Il constate qu'en quelques mois, c'est le deuxième incident de ce genre à survenir. "Ça fait deux fois que ça arrive en peu de temps. Quand on fait des travaux, il faut s'assurer de ne pas avoir d'équipements à proximité qui pourraient produire de la chaleur ou des flammes, surtout lorsqu'il y a une fuite. Il faut savoir que de l'essence produit de la vapeur à partir de -40 °C. Avoir un extincteur portatif à proximité est toujours une bonne idée", a-t-il fait valoir. Julien B. Gauthier, Initiative de journalisme local, Le Lac St-Jean
(Stuart Forster/Shutterstock - image credit) A young Indigenous man was shot dead by Tofino RCMP in a residence on Saturday night, Indigenous leaders and RCMP have confirmed. B.C. RCMP said in a written statement that at around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday two officers from Tofino RCMP attended a residence on the Opitsaht First Nation as they searched for a woman believed to be in distress. After they arrived, a man was shot and killed. Another man was taken into custody. The woman was located and taken to hospital for medical assessment. Moses Martin, Tlaoquiaht First Nation chief councillor, said he had spoken to RCMP, who said an investigation into the incident is ongoing. The statement from RCMP said the Vancouver Island General Investigative Section (GIS) is investigating the call to police, including allegations that the woman was being held against her will. The Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia, a civilian-led police oversight agency, is now investigating the incident.
New variants emerge regularly and experts are conducting frequent analysis to see which are of concern, and which are not.