The FFL cast explains which players could be destined for a big season in 2021.
The FFL cast explains which players could be destined for a big season in 2021.
We're two days from President-elect Joe Biden's Inauguration Day and here are the updates from Washington.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in the nation's capital was like no other amid the threat of inauguration violence and the COVID-19 pandemic.
TORONTO — "Schitt's Creek" continues to flood the awards circuit.The Canadian CBC series, which swept the Emmys' comedy categories with seven trophies last September, is now up for five Critics Choice Awards. The story of the riches-to-rags Rose family is nominated for best comedy series and in acting categories for stars Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Daniel Levy, and Annie Murphy.Other series with five nominations apiece include HBO's "Lovecraft Country," and FX's "Mrs. America" and "What We Do In The Shadows."Two Netflix series lead the pack, with "Ozark" and "The Crown" each up for six awards, including best drama series.Netflix earned the most nominations overall, with a total of 26, followed by HBO/HBO Max with 24.Film nominees for the 26th annual Critics Choice Awards will be revealed on Feb. 7.Taye Diggs will host the live awards ceremony on The CW on March 7. Organizers will announce the format of the show at a later date.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
Facing criticism over efforts to produce citizenship data to comply with an order from President Donald Trump, U.S. Census Bureau director Steven Dillingham said Monday that he planned to resign with the change in presidential administrations. Dillingham said in a statement that he would resign on Wednesday, the day Trump leaves the White House and President-elect Joseph Biden takes office. The Census Bureau director’s plan to resign comes as the statistical agency is in the middle of crunching the numbers for the 2020 census, which will be used to determine how many congressional seats and Electoral College votes each state gets, as well as the distribution of $1.5 trillion in federal spending each year. Last week, Democratic lawmakers called on Dillingham to resign after a watchdog agency said he had set a deadline that pressured statisticians to produce a report on the number of people in the U.S. illegally. Mike Schneider, The Associated Press
TORONTO — Ontario's top doctor says the province must cut its daily COVID-19 case counts to below 1,000 before lockdown measures can be lifted. Dr. David Williams called the goal "achievable" and said the last time the province saw similar daily case counts was late October. Williams says he would also like to see the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital intensive care units drop to 150. The province reported today that 395 people were in hospital intensive care units across Ontario. Williams says the province's daily case rates appear to have plateaued and may have begun to drop. He attributes the change to a provincewide lockdown which came into effect on Boxing Day. Meanwhile, Premier Doug Ford said a new hospital set to open in Vaughan, Ont., will be used to relieve a capacity crunch because of rising COVID-19 rates. Ford said some patients from overcrowded Greater Toronto Area hospitals will be transferred to Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital when it opens on Feb. 7. The hospital will add 35 new critical care beds and 150 medical beds to the province's bed capacity. Health Minister Christine Elliott said some Toronto hospitals are already transferring patients to Kingston, Ont,. and Niagara Region to help ease crowding. The province said that once the COVID-19 capacity pressures have stabilized, the new Vaughan hospital will provide care to patients in York Region as originally planned. The province also said it will spend $125 million to create 500 additional beds to deal with the latest virus surge which it has warned could overwhelm hospitals. Ontario reported 2,578 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday and 24 more deaths linked to the virus. There were 815 new cases in Toronto and 507 in Peel Region, as well as 151 more cases in York and Niagara regions. There were 9,691 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine administered since Ontario's last daily report. The province reported that nearly 40,300 tests were completed since the last daily update. There have been 240,364 cases of the novel coronavirus in Ontario since the pandemic began, and 206,310 cases have been resolved, while 5,433 Ontarians have died from the virus. Ontario's Ministry of Health said 209,788 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. A clinic dedicated to administering vaccines opened in a Toronto convention centre on Monday morning. City officials said the "proof-of-concept" clinic will help Ontario's Ministry of Health test and adjust the setup of immunization clinics in non-hospital settings. The clinic at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, which is in the downtown core, aims to vaccinate 250 people per day, but the city notes that is entirely dependent upon vaccine supply. Pfizer-BioNTech, which manufactures one of the two Health Canada-approved vaccines, announced last week that it's temporarily delaying international shipments of the shots while it upgrades production facilities in Europe. The Ontario government has said that will affect the province's vaccine distribution plan, and some people will see their booster shots delayed by several weeks. The City of Hamilton, meanwhile, said the province has directed it to temporarily cease administering the first dose of both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines to everyone except residents, staff and essential caregivers at long-term care homes and retirement facilities. A spokeswoman for the Health Minister did not say how many regions of the province had received that directive. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
Janet Yellen, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's nominee to run the Treasury Department, will tell the Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday that the government must "act big" with its next coronavirus relief package. Biden, who will be sworn into office on Wednesday, outlined a $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposal last week, saying bold investment was needed to jump-start the economy and accelerate the distribution of vaccines to bring the virus under control.
A motion by Labour called on the Government to maintain the increase.
He has vowed to "restore the soul of America"
NEW YORK — Elfrid Payton's words at the podium Monday had to be sweet music to the ears of New York Knicks coaches and executives. “We're not satisfied,” Payton said after the Knicks' 91-84 victory over the Orlando Magic on Monday. For a franchise that has spent the most of the last two decades trying to find its way, Payton's outlook may have represented if not an organizational sea change, then certainly a noticeable difference. As did their play. R.J. Barrett scored 22 points and had 10 rebounds, and Julius Randle added 21 points and 17 rebounds to lead the New York to its second straight win. Payton chipped in with 12 points and rookie guard Immanuel Quickley added 11 for the Knicks, who improved to 7-8. “Our group is learning how to win,” Randle said. “I credit that to our coaches.” While the Knicks are taking baby steps forward, the same can't be said of the Magic. They have lost six in a row to drop to 6-8. Nikola Vucevic had 24 points and 14 rebounds for Orlando while Aaron Gordon had 18 points and 17 rebounds and Terrence Ross 19 points. “We gave ourselves a chance but we kind of blew it at the same time,” Ross said. Perhaps the early start -- it was a noon tip-off -- affected both teams. New York led 47-38 after a first half in which the Knicks made only 37% of their shots and Orlando 32%. New York’s lead grew to 68-54 after Obi Toppin’s alley-oop jam one minute into the fourth. The Magic rallied and went ahead 81-80 when Ross’ 28-foot heave beat an expiring shot clock. The lead lasted for all of eight seconds, with Randle tying the game with a free throw. “It's hard to win in this league,” Payton said. On New York’s ensuing possession, Randle hit a floater during a run in which the Knicks scored nine straight points. “We won the game with our fight,” Randle said. TIP-INS Magic: The matinee marked a homecoming of sorts for Cole Anthony, the 15th overall pick in the draft. Anthony, who grew up in New York City and is the son of former Knick and current TNT analyst Greg Anthony, played his first game as a professional at Madison Square Garden. The 20-year-old entered the game averaging 10.4 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists. He finished with six points, five rebounds and one assist. “I think it’s what he wants,” Orlando coach Steve Clifford said before the game. “He’s a confident young guy. He’s handling it well." Knicks: Fourteen games is a small sample, but New York coach Tom Thibodeau is pleased with the play of third-year forward Kevin Knox. He came into the game shooting 43% and averaging 7.8 points coming off the bench. Knox, whoentered the season shooting 33.7% on 3-pointers, is connecting at 44.2% so far in 2020-21. “I thought when he took good shots, he made them or they were in-and-out,” was how Thibodeau assessed Knox’s improved play. “He’s allowing the game to come to him. He put a lot of time into shooting this summer. He can do more than spot up.” SUCCESS New York improved to 23-12 on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. UP NEXT Magic: Finish a four-game road trip Wednesday at Minnesota. Knicks: Begin a four-game West Coast road trip Thursday at Golden State. ___ More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Denis P. Gorman, The Associated Press
Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) [India], January 19 (ANI): Lieutenant General CP Mohanty, AVSM, SM, VSM, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Southern Command arrived in Visakhapatnam on Monday on a two-day visit to the Eastern Naval Command (ENC).
Federal authorities arrested a retired firefighter and a fashion student, both from New York, and a man from Iowa on Monday in the storming of the U.S. Capitol, according to the FBI and court documents. Nicolas Moncada, a 20-year-old student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, was arrested at his home in Staten Island early on Monday, the FBI said. The school shared information with the FBI about a social media post showing him at the Capitol, according to local media reports.
An inquest has been called by the BC Coroners Service into the fatal police shooting of 20-year-old Hudson Brooks, almost six years ago in Surrey, B.C. Brooks was shot nine time by Const. Elizabeth Cucheran in a parking lot adjacent to the District 5 RCMP detachment in south Surrey in the early morning hours of July 18, 2015. A preliminary inquiry heard how Brooks was wearing only boxer shorts as he walked down 152nd Street yelling "kill me," "they're going to kill me" and "sorry, Mom!" When an RCMP officer pulled out of the detachment's parkade to investigate, Brooks began pounding on the vehicle. The officer locked his doors, activated his emergency lights and air horn and called for help over the radio. Cucheran ran out of the detachment in full uniform, armed with her service pistol, baton and pepper spray. Both Cucheran and the other officer on scene say that Brooks, who had consumed large amounts of alcohol and cocaine, didn't appear to have anything in his hands. Brooks moved toward Cucheran, and as she backed away, she fired her pistol several times. As she retreated, she tripped over a ledge and fell, with Brooks falling on top of her. Cucheran also shot herself in the leg during the incident. In December 2017, Cucheran was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon, but the charges were stayed two year later when the Crown said that evidence presented at the preliminary inquiry established that her use of her gun "was entirely reasonable in the circumstances." The coroners inquest begins March 1, 2021. Presiding coroner Lyn Blenkinsop and a jury will hear evidence from witnesses under oath. A coroners inquest can make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances and does not determine legal responsibility.
Bruce Buffer, Ariel Helwani, Megan Olivi and Peter Carroll talk to The Independent about McGregor and Poirier’s first clash ahead of the pair’s main-event rematch at UFC 257
The Maple Leafs avoided a brilliant career ended on a paper transaction Monday with Jason Spezza clearing waivers.
CHARLOTTETOWN — Prince Edward Island reported four new cases of COVID-19 Monday. Three of the cases were linked to travel outside Atlantic Canada and involved a woman in her 20s, a man in his 40s and a man in his 50s. The fourth case involved a woman in her 50s who is a close contact of a previously reported case. Prince Edward Island has 10 active reported cases of COVID-19; the province has reported a total of 108 infections since the start of the pandemic. Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison said Monday all Islanders should get tested if they experience any symptoms of COVID-19 and should isolate until the results come back. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2021. The Canadian Press
Follow all the live action from the Emirates Stadium
The Southeast Regional Library system has ceased charging late fees for overdue materials, retroactive to Jan. 1. Montmartre branch librarian Angela Englot said late fees have been waived during the COVID-19 pandemic to allow people more time with their books and materials. “We were doing more curbside pickup and less contact,” Englot said. “Now they decided to go ahead with this as a means to give back to the patrons.” She added past fines pre-dating the pandemic are also being waived. While she has only been the branch librarian in Montmartre for a few months, Englot said she did not see a lot of fines being charged at the Glenavon library branch where she previously worked. “(Removing late fees) does save us some administrative steps,” Englot said. “The fines were collected in branch and were forwarded to headquarters in Weyburn. Headquarters would use those funds to buy new materials for the library system.” While late fees aren’t being charged, lost or damaged items will still be subject to fees. Keith Borkowsky, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Quad Town Forum
Cookbook author has taken up horseback riding following loss of son Jack
Boris Johnson said any easing of lockdown would be gradual once the vaccine programme had made progress.
White Butte RCMP updated White City council Dec. 14 on local crime stats for the town over the past six months. In all, police said there were 340 valid reports of potential crimes, with 143 charges laid based on those complaints. In 88 other incidents, the situation was resolved without a charge laid. There were also six reports where the complaint was deemed unfounded and was disregarded. “Overall, I’m very pleased in comparison with some other periods,” Staff-Sgt. Jason Sauve said. “I’ve been here two years and there were some times when car break-ins and stolen vehicles were happening and those property crimes since COVID hit has been down substantially.” However, calls related to domestic assaults have risen for the detachment area as a whole, as have mental health calls, though those numbers are still very low, Sauve said. White City mayor Brian Fergusson asked Sauve about those assault cases, whether those increases were trends noted in other detachments as well. And they are, Sauve said, with city police forces reporting similar increases. “I think it’s people who have been cooped up for nine months, and that’s caused a lot of stress for some people,” Sauve said. “With Christmas and the holidays being single household only unless you are a single person going to a home of six people or less, I don’t foresee that trend changing any time before Jan. 15.” Sauve added that many of the calls for service or cases where police have stopped people have been for traffic offences, which isn’t surprising given the proximity of the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 48 in White City. Of the 143 charges laid by White Butte RCMP in White City overall, 111 of them were for provincial traffic offences (48 for speeding). Most of those tickets were handed out on Ramm Avenue and Highway 48. A coalition of Regina Police Services and RCMP officers form a traffic services unit which work the Trans-Canada Highway and other areas such as Southey, Lumsden, and Moose Jaw. “We are a busy detachment – 33,000 cars drive by on the east side of Regina on Highway 1 every day,” Sauve said. “Probably the biggest amount of calls is driving-related complaints. But we also have sexual assault-related cases, and a year ago we inherited the primary policing responsibility for the Regina Provincial Correctional Centre. That’s anywhere from four to eight criminal code offences a month, and probably 10-12 assisting matters a month which can be getting fingerprints or statements from inmates. When an incident happens at the jail, we get notified two or three days later. And all of the (evidence) gets sent to us in a package so the investigations aren’t time consuming. The reports are already there for us so we have a pretty good idea what’s going on.” Keith Borkowsky, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Quad Town Forum