Baltimore Woman Clinically Dead for 45 Minutes Brought Back to Life While Daughter Gives Birth

·2 min read
Kathy Patten
Kathy Patten


Kathy Patten was clinically dead for 45 minutes before she was brought back to life. In the same hospital, her daughter was in the middle of a 39-hour labor.

Both say that they experienced not one, but two miracles over the July 4 weekend.

Patten was on the golf course when she received a call that her daughter Fifer had gone into labor. Shortly after arriving at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, she suffered a heart attack.

Very quickly, doctors lost her pulse, she recounted to WJZ-TV.

"It was a second chance at life. I'm just going to be the best person I can be in every way and I'm grateful for every minute I have," Patten told the news station.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the hospital, Fifer was being told she'd have to undergo an emergency c-section because her baby was stuck in the birth canal.

RELATED: Wisconsin Police Officer Praised as Hero After He Rescues 79-Year-Old Man from Burning Home

After nearly an hour of CPR, Patten was revived. A short time later, her eighth grandchild was born.

"It was just fate that my Mom was supposed to be here. It was ultimately because of Alora that my Mom is here and happened to be at the right place at the right time," Fifer told WJZ-TV. "She truly is a walking miracle."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Grandmother, mother, and baby are healthy. Now, doctors at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center are saying "thank you" to the family who has taught them so much.

"You taught us what it means to live," said Dr. Dov Frankel. "You taught us what it means not to give up."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting