Buffalo really didn’t think Army was going to fake a punt up four with less than 2:30 left.
After Buffalo forced Army into a fourth and five at its own 42 with 2:28 left, Army lined up in a punt formation. The Black Knights led 21-17 and Buffalo assumed that it was going to get the ball back with a chance to score a go-ahead touchdown.
Army punter Nick Schrage took off down a wide-open right sideline for a 15-yard run. First down, Army.
Buffalo never got the ball back after the fake punt. The Bulls had used their three timeouts in the successive downs before the fake and were unable to stop the clock. Three more Army runs ended the game and sent the Black Knights to 2-0 and Buffalo to 0-2.
– – – – – – –
More college football coverage from Yahoo Sports:
• Tim Tebow ignores sign criticizing his baseball career
• Ref calmly recovers from announcing error
• Report supports testimony on Paterno, Sandusky
• Reigning Heisman winner Lamar Jackson is still extremely good
• Vandals paint statue outside BYU’s stadium