31 Crew Members Rescued After Fire Erupts on Fishing Boat 130 Miles off of Nova Scotia

·2 min read

Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Halifax Atlantic Destiny sinking

More than two dozen fishermen were rescued from a sinking ship in brutal conditions off the coast of Nova Scotia on Tuesday night.

The U.S. Coast Guard announced the rescue on Thursday, stating that the military branch worked with Canadian Coast Guards and the Royal Canadian Air Force to save the lives of 31 crew members aboard the Atlantic Destiny.

The 143-foot vessel was 130 miles south of Halifax, Nova Scotia, when a fire broke out on board and the ship began to take on water.

The weather at the time included 26-foot waves and winds up to 35 miles per hour.

US Coast Guard Atlantic Destiny rescue

RELATED: Carnival Cruise Ship Rescues 24 People from Small Boat That Was Sinking Off Coast of Florida

Helicopters from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Royal Canadian Air Force were dispatched and brought up six crew members as two search and rescue technicians were dispatched.

Next, another 21 crew members were hoisted out of the dangerous scene.

All those rescued by this point were taken to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, for medical assessment.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

The rescue went into the early hours of Wednesday morning, and the remaining four crew members on board as well as the two search and rescue technicians "ceased dewatering efforts" and were taken to the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Cape Roger.

The Atlantic Destiny, which was used to harvest frozen at sea scallops, sank at 9:36 a.m. Wednesday.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

RELATED: 16 People Missing Off Fla. Coast as U.S. Coast Guard Calls Off One Search and Launches Another

Ocean Choice International, which owns the ship, issued a statement on the incident Wednesday.

CEO Martin Sullivan said "we are extremely relieved and thankful that all of our 31 crew members were safely transported ashore and are currently in the process of reuniting with their families and loved ones."

An investigation into the fire's cause is ongoing.

U.S. Coast Guard avionics electrical technician Phillip Morales told CNN that the dramatic rescue is one he'll "remember for the rest of my life, I'm probably not going to see something like this again."