The deaths of three American tourists who were staying at a Bahamas Sandals resort in May were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, Royal Bahamas Police Force said Tuesday.
Vincent Chiarella, 64, and Michael and Robbie Phillips, 68 and 65, were found unresponsive on May 6 at the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort on Great Exuma Island. Resort staff found the Americans in their villas the morning after they had sought treatment for being sick.
Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement Tuesday they died by asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Michael and Robbie Phillips were from Maryville, Tennessee, and were the owners of a travel agency. Chiarella, of Panama City Beach, Florida, was celebrating his anniversary with his wife, who also fell ill and was hospitalized in critical condition, said Bahamas Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle at the time.
At the time, police said Michael and Robbie Phillips showed signs of convulsions but no signs of trauma were seen in any of the three victims.
Sandals Resorts spokesperson Stacy Royal said carbon monoxide detectors were installed in all of guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay since the deaths and that Sandals planned to install detectors in guest rooms across all locations.
"As we have shared, nothing is more important to Sandals Resorts than the safety of guests and team members," Royal said. "We have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort."
Authorities said the incident remains under investigation.
'Our hearts are grieving': What we know about the Americans who died at a Bahamas resort
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Americans died at Sandals Bahamas from carbon monoxide poisoning