Heading into their regular-season finale Sunday night on the road against the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Los Angeles Clippers still have a chance to move up the Western Conference playoff ladder. A win Sunday coupled with a Denver loss to Portland would give the Clippers (47-24) the No. 3 seed in the West, while a loss or a Nuggets win would put the Clippers at No. 4. Denver holds the tiebreaker over the Clippers.
Starting Monday, second doses of the vaccine will be available to those 85 and older and those whose first dose was before Feb. 15. You may book that appointment at a pharmacy, go to a drive-thru or walk-in clinic (including those run by Indigenous Services Canada and the Northern Inter-tribal Health Authority) on Monday. The online booking system for these doses won't be up and running until Tuesday. "During your second dose appointment, the clinic or pharmacy will validate the timing and brand of your first dose to ensure you are receiving your second dose within the recommended timeframe," the province's Saturday news release reads. "The type of vaccine available at each location will be advertised to ensure that you are receiving the same vaccine brand for your second dose." The province added that for now, people will get a matching second dose to the brand of their first dose. "National reviews of the safety and efficacy of interchanging the second dose brand are ongoing and the provincial policy on maintaining the same brand for the second dose may be updated following this review," the news release reads, in part. By the numbers There are 196 new known cases of COVID-19 to report Saturday. There is also one new death to report. A person in their 80s died in the Regina zone. This brings the active case total in Saskatchewan to 2,072. There are 144 people in hospital, with 26 people in intensive care. Here's where the new cases are: Far Northwest, three. Far Northeast, four. Northwest, 19. North Central, 21. Northeast, two. Saskatoon, 67. Central West, three. Central East, 20. Regina, 26. Southwest, nine. South Central, five. Southeast, 13. Four new cases are pending residence information. Four cases with pending residence information were assigned to the following zones: North Central, three; and Southeast, one. One case previously not reported was added to North East zone. For vaccines, a total of 571,957 doses have been administered. The system is taking bookings for people 23 and up at the moment. Around 55 per cent of people 18 and up have received their first dose.
Janet Jackson’s ensembles she wore in the “Scream” music video opposite of her brother Michael Jackson are among the items up for bid in a three-day auction. Julien’s Auctions says her black circular bubble textured fabric long-sleeve shirt, black patent leather pants and black patent leather over-the-ankle boots sold for $125,000 Saturday. The auction called “Iconic Treasures From the Legendary Career and Life of Janet Jackson” will be held until Sunday, the singer’s 55th birthday.
The Sunday Times said the heir to the throne wants royal residences to open more widely for longer periods during the year.
Securities Litigation Partner James (Josh) Wilson Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses Exceeding $50,000 In Romeo Power To Contact Him Directly To Discuss Their Options New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - May 15, 2021) - Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP, a leading national securities law firm, is investigating potential claims against Romeo Power, Inc. ("Romeo Power" or the "Company") (NYSE: RMO) and reminds investors of the June 15, 2021 deadline to seek the role of lead plaintiff ...
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A jury in a North Carolina federal civil rights case has awarded $75 million to two Black, intellectually disabled half brothers who spent decades behind bars after being wrongfully convicted in the 1983 rape and murder of an 11-year-old girl. The eight-person jury on Friday decided Henry McCollum and Leon Brown should received $31 million each in compensatory damages, $1 million for every year spent in prison, The News & Observer reported. The jury also awarded them $13 million in punitive damages. “The first jury to hear all of the evidence — including the wrongly suppressed evidence — found Henry and Leon to be innocent, found them to have been demonstrably and excruciatingly wronged, and has done what the law can do to make it right at this late date,” Raleigh attorney Elliot Abrams said after the trial. Abrams was part of the brothers’ legal team. McCollum and Brown have pursued the civil case against law enforcement members since 2015, arguing that their civil rights were violated during the interrogations that led to their convictions. The two were released from prison in 2014 after DNA evidence that pointed to a convicted murderer exonerated them. They were teenagers when they were accused of the crime, which happened in Red Springs in Robeson County. Attorneys for the men have said they were scared teenagers who had low IQs when they were questioned by police and coerced into confessing. McCollum was then 19, and Brown was 15. Both were convicted and sentenced to death. McCollum spent most of his 31 years in prison on death row, becoming North Carolina’s longest-serving death row inmate. Brown -- who the newspaper reported suffers from mental health conditions related to his time in prison and requires full-time care -- had his sentence later changed to life in prison. On Friday, the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office, one of the defendants, settled its part of the case for $9 million. The town of Red Springs, originally named in the civil suit, settled in 2017 for $1 million. Friday's judgement came against former SBI agents Leroy Allen and Kenneth Snead, who were part of the original investigation. Scott MacLatchie, the lead defense attorney for the SBI agents, attempted during his closing argument to cast doubt on the brothers’ innocence, the newspaper reported, despite the fact that they had received full pardons of innocence. “I’ve got my freedom,” McCollum said. “There’s still a lot of innocent people in prison today. And they don’t deserve to be there.” The Associated Press
Matthew Highmore scored twice in the third period to help the Vancouver Canucks beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-1 on Saturday. Travis Boyd and Bo Horvat also scored and Thatcher Demko made 31 saves. J.T. Miller added two assists.
Securities Litigation Partner James (Josh) Wilson Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses Exceeding $50,000 In Peloton To Contact Him Directly To Discuss Their Options New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - May 15, 2021) - Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP, a leading national securities law firm, is investigating potential claims against Peloton Interactive Inc. ("Peloton" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: PTON) and reminds investors of the June 28, 2021 deadline to seek the role of lead plaintiff in a ...
This bodes well for Drew Dunbar’s kidney transplant: CBS has renewed Chuck Lorre’s B Positive for Season 2, TVLine has learned. Additionally, the Eye network has renewed Lorre’s other freshman sitcom, United States of AI, for a second season. B Positive centers on the aforementioned Drew (played by Silicon Valley‘s Thomas Middleditch), a therapist and newly divorced […]
The multi-cam comedies “United States of Al” and “B Positive” have been renewed for second seasons at CBS. Both shows hail from Chuck Lorre Productions, which has three other shows on CBS at present. That includes the Allison Janney led multi-cam “Mom,” which recently ended after eight seasons. The others are “Bob Hearts Abishola and […]
Michael Chandler and Charles Oliveira fight for the vacant lightweight title.
Securities Litigation Partner James (Josh) Wilson Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses Exceeding $50,000 In PureCycle To Contact Him Directly To Discuss Their Options New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - May 15, 2021) - Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP, a leading national securities law firm, is investigating potential claims against PureCycle Technologies, Inc. ("PureCycle" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: PCT) and reminds investors of the July 12, 2021 deadline to seek the role of lead plaintiff in a ...
Visitors to SeaWorld Orlando, Universal Orlando, Disney World and Tampa’s Busch Gardens are no longer are required to wear masks while outdoors.
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A Newfoundland and Labrador police officer was found guilty Saturday of sexually assaulting a young woman while he was on duty in 2014, bringing a long-awaited end to a gruelling case that was tried in court three times. A jury delivered the verdict on Saturday afternoon, after deliberating for more than a day in the case of Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Const. Carl Douglas Snelgrove, who they found sexually assaulted the 21-year-old woman in her living room after driving her home from a St. John's nightclub in his police car. Upon hearing the verdict, she leapt out of her chair and ran over to the prosecution team. Outside the courtroom, Crown prosecutor Lloyd Strickland said he's glad the case is finally over, especially for the complainant. "I'm very much in awe over her," he said. "She remained constant while the system stumbled around her." Saturday was the end of Snelgrove's third trial on the charge, following a successful appeal of an acquittal in 2017 and a mistrial last year. The woman testified all three times, often shooting back at defence lawyer Randy Piercey while on the stand. "You gotta know, this is this man's life, right?" Piercey asked her at one point during her testimony on May 6, referring to Snelgrove. "Yes, I do know that," she quickly replied. "This has been six years of my life, as well." The trial began on May 5 in a makeshift courtroom set up in a former St. John's school to accommodate physical distancing protocols. The jury began deliberating on Thursday and delivered its verdict around 4 p.m. on Saturday. The case has loomed over St. John's since Snelgrove was first acquitted in 2017. Enraged protesters gathered that night and yelled outside the stone Supreme Court building downtown. Demonstrations then spread across town to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary headquarters. The case also figures prominently in the structures of power and authority underpinning two recent, award-winning St. John's-set novels: "All I Ask," by Eva Crocker and "Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club" by Megan Gail Coles. "I think this case has moved the discussion around consent forward by light years," author Lisa Moore told the Canadian Press in a Facebook message. It has also moved the law around consent forward, the Crown prosecutor told reporters on Saturday. In 2017, the court wouldn't let him argue that Snelgrove abused his position of authority as a police officer and thereby nullified any consent the woman may have provided, if she provided it at all, Strickland said. It was on that point that his office appealed and won. Snelgrove then challenged that appeal with the Supreme Court of Canada, but the court sided with Strickland, thus opening the door for further arguments on those grounds. "In four years, which has been a very long time for her, but in the bigger sense is not a great deal of time, we've seen this shift," he said. "I think it is an important case in that respect." Even before the verdict was read Saturday, people were gathered outside the Supreme Court building on Duckworth Street, holding signs and chanting in support of the woman, who they've called "Jane Doe." "As a survivor of sexual abuse myself, I see a lot of myself in Jane Doe," said Sarah Saint-Clare, who brought a box of communal Timbits for the demonstrators to share. "Cases like this (are) why people don't go to the police." Her father, Bill Janes, was the chief of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary during Snelgrove's first trial, and that meant she couldn't join the protests back then, though she said she wanted to. He's since retired, and she was at the courthouse Saturday morning by 10 a.m. to hoist her sign and raise a fist in solidarity with the woman. "Hopefully, if this comes back guilty, it will bring back the confidence that women have had in the past when it comes to reporting their assault," she said. Snelgrove will be back in court in June for the judge to set a date for his sentencing. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 15, 2021. The Canadian Press
A man suspected of sexually assaulting three women this month was arrested after officers caught him brutally attacking a 67-year-old woman in the front yard of a San Francisco Bay Area home, police said. When officers summoned by witnesses to the home Thursday, they saw a naked man sexually assaulting the victim “in broad daylight,” Fremont police said in a statement. The officers stopped the attack and took Alexander Lomax, 28, into custody, the statement said.
The Metropolitan Police said small pockets of disorder had followed a largely peaceful demonstration.
Youri Tielemans’ second-half goal won the FA Cup for Leicester.
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times Eastern): 6:20 p.m. Alberta is reporting 1,195 new COVID-19 cases and three additional deaths. Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province's chief medical officer of health, issued a series of tweets saying the latest cases were identified from about 13,000 tests. She says that makes for a test-positivity rate of 9.6 per cent. Hinshaw says there are 686 people in hospital with COVID-19, including 178 in intensive care. --- 5:15 p.m. Prince Edward Island is reporting one new case of COVID-19. Health officials say the new patient is a person in their 20s who is a close contact of a previously announced case related to a child-care centre. Last Thursday, a staff member of the Leaps and Bounds Child Care Centre in Charlottetown tested positive, but all of the children and staff have since tested negative. P.E.I. now has ten active cases of COVID-19 and has logged 191 infections since the onset of the pandemic. --- 4:25 p.m. Saskatchewan is reporting 196 new COVID-19 cases and one new virus-related death. The province's daily pandemic update says there are 144 people in hospital with COVID-19. There are 2,072 cases in Saskatchewan that are considered active. --- 1:55 p.m. Nunavut is reporting five new COVID-19 cases, four of which are in Iqaluit with the other in Kinngait. There are 74 active cases in the territory, 73 of which are in Iqaluit. Premier Joe Savikataaq says in a Twitter post that the patient in Kinngait is already in isolation, and the case has been linked to previously identified infections. --- 1:45 p.m. Manitoba is reporting four new deaths of people with COVID-19 and 430 new cases of the virus. Today's provincial pandemic update also unveiled plans to shift more students to remote learning in response to rising case counts. The province says all 27 schools in the Garden Valley and Red River Valley School Districts will move to remote learning starting on May 18 and effective until May 30. The update says the five-day test-positivity rate is 12 per cent provincially and 14.2 per cent in Winnipeg. There are 241 people with COVID-19 in Manitoba's hospitals, with 70 in intensive care. --- 1:10 p.m. Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting 86 new cases of COVID-19. The tally marks the first time since May 1 that the province has recorded less than 100 infections in a single day. More than half of the new cases were reported in the area that includes Halifax. Premier Iain Rankin issued a brief statement saying he was pleased to see the slight reduction in the daily case count, but calling on residents to keep adhering to public health measures meant to curb further spread. Nova Scotia had 1,509 active cases of COVID-19 in the province as of Saturday, with 96 people in hospital, including 23 in intensive care. --- 1 p.m. Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting five new cases of COVID-19, all of which are related to travel in Canada. The province is now dealing with 78 active cases, with over half of them recorded in the zone that includes St. John's. Health officials say one person remains in hospital. Since the beginning of the pandemic, the province has reported 1,184 cases, which include six deaths. --- 12:30 p.m. New Brunswick is reporting seven new cases of COVID-19. They include two travel-related infections that involve New Brunswickers isolating outside the province. The other cases involve either travel-related infections or contacts of previously confirmed cases in Saint John, Fredericton and Bathurst. The province is now dealing with 113 active cases, which are among the 2,052 reported since the beginning of the pandemic. --- 11:10 a.m. Quebec is reporting 760 additional cases of COVID-19 today and eight new deaths, including two within the past 24 hours. The Health Department says the number of hospitalizations declined by 21 to 509, while the number of patients in intensive care dipped by three to 120. It says 98,567 doses of vaccine were administered on Friday, for a total of 4,230,520. Quebec has reported 362,580 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 11,032 deaths linked to the disease since the onset of the pandemic. --- 11 a.m. Ontario is reporting 2,584 new cases of COVID-19 today along with 24 new deaths linked to the virus. Health Minister Christine Elliott says there were 689 new infections in Toronto, 584 in Peel Region and 252 in York Region. Other areas with high case counts include Durham Region with 157 today and Hamilton with 115. There are 1,546 COVID-19 patients in Ontario hospitals as of this morning, including 714 in intensive care and 516 on ventilators. Ontario administered 154,104 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine on Friday, a number Elliott describes as a single-day high in the province. --- This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 15, 2021. The Canadian Press
A "much deserved induction into the NBA Hall of Fame!" Magic Johnson said
Sam Burns still has the lead going into the final round of the AT&T Byron Nelson despite more magic on the 18th green from local favorite Jordan Spieth. Now it's a race to beat the weather in Texas in the final round with a good number of the players headed to the PGA Championship in South Carolina. Burns shot a 3-under 69 for a one-stroke lead over K.H. Lee, who had a 67.