A residential blaze in Arlington that killed two women and a dog Sunday night was caused by a recreational fire left unattended outside their home, the Arlington Fire Department said in a news release.
Firefighters responded to the 4200 block of Shorewood Drive around 10:30 p.m. Sunday to find a fire involving a shed that turned out to be the living space of two women and a dog, according to the fire department. The fire killed a 67-year-old woman, a 30-year-old woman and the dog.
They were dead when rescue workers arrived, according to the fire department. Their names have not yet been released by the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The initial call to 911 reported what the caller thought sounded like gunshots, as well as smoke and flames, according to the fire department. Police arrived at the scene to investigate and secure the area before the fire department moved in to fight the blaze.
The crew managed to extinguish the fire as a one-alarm incident and canceled second-alarm units as they were en route.