We get it – it’s much easier answering quiz questions from the comfort of your sofa rather than in the intensity of a TV studio with lights and cameras pointing at you and a big money prize on the line.
And while wrong answers are par for the course on TV quiz shows, sometimes they’re so hilariously bad or random, we can’t help but laugh.
Here’s 19 of the very best (or should that be worst?)...
1. This Pointless answer prompted an ‘if looks could kill’ moment
2. We don’t actually know what this Family Fortunes contestant said here, but we can take a pretty good guess
— Long John Hill (@longjohnhill) October 25, 2020
3. This Celebrity Mastermind moment is the absolute classic of the genre
4. Even Tipping Point host Ben Shepherd couldn’t contain his laughter at this suggestive answer
— Chris 🍻 (@runningmillerz) September 24, 2021
5. To be fair to this Pointless contestant, we can totally see where her thinking was going with this one
6. A lot less so here, however
— Jonny Glen (@jonnyglen) November 21, 2020
7. Vernon Kay and Brian Dowling’s faces say it all, really
8. Cheryl Fergison, queen of geography
— Jennifer Salmond (@jeffiner10) December 23, 2015
9. This Tipping Point contestant must have found his Christmas stocking empty on more than a few times over the years
— Kayleigh 🐳 (@kayleee_c) February 24, 2019
10. This Celebrity Mastermind answer deserves respect, tbh
— Toby Earle (@TobyonTV) March 22, 2020
11. This chap seemed to have got his Quality Street mixed up with Coronation Street, and it STILL wasn’t anywhere near the right answer
— J (@Jboy010203) September 30, 2021
12. *bangs head against the wall repeatedly*
— ITV (@ITV) January 6, 2018
13. Sorry, WHAT?!?!
When you think ‘curling one out’ might be an answer on Mastermind. 🤔💩😳 pic.twitter.com/69dJLNMNKp
— Ben Spraggons (@BenSpraggs) January 6, 2018
14. “Sorry, I won’t be in work today, I’ve got a fillet of fish-ache”
The best answer ever on Family fortunes.
He pulled that one out the bag...😂 pic.twitter.com/CfeZ5YUhQg
— The 90s Were Amazing (@90sdecade) December 12, 2017
15. This man’s persistence is truly admirable
16. The first rule of quiz shows – you have to LISTEN
17. See also:
18. Everything about Monty Panesar’s appearance on Celebrity Mastermind was so iconic, especially the Oliver Twist answer
19. And finally, the most recent addition to the hall of fame, the “Liberal Democrat of Moles”
I just saw this on TV and I actually cannot stop laughing pic.twitter.com/xswCrPZy9u
— Zainudeen (@ZainudeenT) September 30, 2021
This article originally appeared on HuffPost UK and has been updated.