The warm weather is here at last and that means shorts season. But how to pick the perfect pair?
Choosing shorts can be trial and error. Trying on is essential and often buying a size up makes for a better fit. Find a shape that works for you, from slim-fit to baggy, mini or longer length. Add a touch of glamour with a high or paper-bag waist. Essential Antwerp’s orange (2, below) and pink cotton style are cut for comfort. Style with their striped belt (£75) and a tucked-in tonal top for a chic look. Reiss’s mint-green tailored shorts (£138) work well for smart summer events, worn with a matching blazer. Sezane’s high-waisted belted Rome shorts (£100) come in washed black denim, khaki and a floral print, and sit perfectly on the line of tailored and casual. Tuck in a shirt or vest top and you’re good to go.
If comfort is your thing, look no further than Aligne’s terry towelling style (£59), Maje’s grey marl jersey pair (1, below), Pangaia’s recycled and organic cotton sweat shorts (£65) in a rainbow of shades, or itsy-bitsy fast-drying beachcomber styles in towelling from Me+Em (7, below). Denim shorts are always on trend.
We like Whistles’ mid-thigh pair (5, below), available in four shades. Or take the scissors to an old pair of jeans to get your perfect length and fray off the edges, or salvage an old pair with a set of iron-on patches (£2, etsy.com).
Trade up your casual shorts for leather or lace for the perfect festival outfit. Get Euphoria’s Sydney Sweeney’s Coachella look (left) with Benetton’s broderie anglaise pair (£49.95). Don’t be afraid to choose retro shorts in bold patterns like polka dots, stripes, and even plaids. And lastly, let’s not forget the matchy-matchy co-ord set – a fast track to summer style.
1. Fleece shorts with embroidered ruffles, £104, uk.maje.com
2. Dark orange high-rise shorts, £130, essentiel-antwerp.com
3. Patricia Black Floral Shorts, £85, kitristudio.com
4. Embroidered shorts, £101, sandro-paris.com
5. Denim shorts, £59, whistles.com
6. Patchwork detail, £74, desigual.com
7. Towelling shorts, £65, meandem.com
8. Wave print, £69, houseofsunny.com
9. Cut off denim, £39.95, gap.co.uk
10. Tailored linen, £125, gant.co.uk
11. Pleated linen, £60, boden.co.uk
12. Rome, £105, sezane.com
13. Checked, £180, railsclothing.com
14. Pink satin, £22.99, zara.com
15. Linen, £35, arket.com
16. Striped, £40, roxy-uk.co.uk