California has 15 of the best taco joints in the U.S., according to a new Yelp report.
Yelp released its “Top 100 Taco Spots in America” just in time for National Taco Day on Tuesday, Oct. 4, and cities across the state made the list.
To find the top taco spots, Yelp looked at U.S. businesses in the restaurants and food category with a large number of reviews that mentioned tacos. Then the app ranked each place based on the total number of reviews and their ratings.
Ed Fernandez Restaurant Birrieria in San Diego ranked No. 1 in the country, and it’s known among Yelp reviewers for its “life-changing birria.”
The location is “unassuming” but “the tacos didn’t disappoint, they were all fantastic,” reviewers wrote.
Reviewers recommend ordering the brothy consome to dip tacos in.
These other California spots ranked among the top 100:
1. Ed Fernandez Restaurant Birrieria — San Diego
2. Taco Nazo — Bellflower
3. Taqueria Mi Ranchito — Sylmar
6. Tacos Sinaloa — Oakland
7. El Primo Tacos — Venice
11. De Cabeza — Chula Vista
15. Mariscos Mi Gusto Es — San Diego
16. Street Tacos and Grill — Los Angeles
20. Birrieria Little Tijuana — Riverside
29. Str8 Up Tacos — Lakewood
30. Porque No? Tacos — San Leandro
35. Frogtowns Gourmet Tacos — Los Angeles
36. El Gallo Giro Taco Truck — San Francisco
41. Tacos El Gordo — Chula Vista
47. Benny’s Tacos & Rotisserie Chicken — Los Angeles